In 2008, the Korako Karetai Trust and the Otago Peninsula Trust agreed to establish a joint venture accord to manage the environmental, historical and amenity values of the area known as Takiharuru Pilots Beach at Pukekura Taiaroa Head.
This agreement arose from an acknowledgement of common interest in the ecological and environmental values and the preservation and enhancement of the area of land known as Takiharuru Pilots Beach, which is of historical and current significance to the descendants of Korako Karetai.
- Protection, conservation and enhancement of the area known as Takiharuru Pilots Beach for the benefit of its flora and fauna, and in particular the kororā blue penguin colony established there;
- Enhancing the cultural and ecological visitor experience of the area.
The Trust is a legal entity established under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957. The Korako Karetai Trust and to Otago Peninsula Trust are also charitable trusts under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957 and are Settlors of the Pukekura Trust. The purpose and objectives of the Pukekura Trust are defined as follows:
The preservation and enhancement of the natural environment, flora and fauna of the Pilot’s Beach reserve on the Otago Peninsula including:
- the management of the reserve in a way which facilitates public use of the area while ensuring that the environment, flora and fauna of the area are not compromised;
- the protection of the habitat of the kororā blue penguin colony which exists in the reserve in a way that maximises nesting opportunities and minimises predator infiltration and inappropriate visitor interaction;
- the promotion of knowledge of, and interest in, the history, flora and fauna of the area through interpretation, education and publicity
- Any other charitable purpose which may be conveniently carried out or conducted directly or indirectly to advance the charitable purposes of the Trust provided all funds generated are applied for, or lead to, public benefit in New Zealand.
Korako Karetai Trust
The descendants of Korako Karetai are the membership of the Korako Karetai Trust and have whakapapa (genealogical) links to the Takiharuru Pilots Beach and wider Pukekura area.
Chief Korako Karetai was the owner of the Takiharuru Pilots Beach area until it was ceded to the Crown in 1868.
The Korako Karetai Trust is a registered Trust currently applying for charitable status and represents the descendants of Korako Karetai. The objects of the Korako Karetai Trust are:
- the advancement, education and preservation of the spiritual and cultural beliefs and practices of the Ruahikihiki-Mamoe peoples of Pukekura;
- the advancement of the natural environment, flora and fauna of the Otago Peninsula including the protection of existing flora and fauna;
- any other charitable object or purpose which may seem capable of being conveniently carried on in connection with the above charitable purposes or calculated directly or indirectly to advance the charitable purposes of the Trust.
Otago Peninsula Trust
The Otago Peninsula Trust was registered as a charitable trust in 1967; the first such trust to be registered in New Zealand. It is managed by a Board of Trustees, all of whom are Trust members elected each year at the Trust’s Annual General Meeting. The objectives of the Trust are:
- The stimulation of public interest in, and care of, the beauty, history and character of the Otago Peninsula;
- The preservation of the natural character of the area and the protection of its flora and fauna;
- The development of attractions, public and recreational services so that the public may obtain maximum use and enjoyment of the area without compromising or detracting from its beauty or character;
- The promotion of, and interest in, the objects of the Trust through education programmes, meetings, exhibitions and other appropriates forms of instruction and publicity.
In fulfillment of its objectives, the Trust operates and manages the following:
- Royal Albatross Centre at Pukekura Taiaroa Head;
- Fort Taiaroa and the Fort Taiaroa Education and Resource Centre;
- Glenfalloch Woodland Garden;
- Fletcher House (managed on behalf of Fletcher Trust);
- Colinswood Bush Reserve;
- The lime kilns at Sandymount.
- Education programmes, including programmes at the Royal Albatross Centre based on the curriculum needs for New Zealand schools;
- Administrative and practical support for the Otago Biodiversity Group, the Harbour Cone Trust, the Richdale Trust and various other small groups dedicated to preservation and enhancement projects on the Otago Peninsula.